Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer Hamilton
A personal injury can happen anywhere and anytime with a range in severity from mild to catastrophic. If you’ve suffered a personal injury, you know the extent to which it can affect your quality of life for you and your family and impact your financial freedom.
It is tough when you’re dealing with an injury to think about a lawsuit, and you may be asking, “Can I sue?” As an experienced personal injury lawyer I will guide you with what’s possible and the relevant deadlines for filing critical information. Filing a lawsuit or a personal injury claim is a complex process and I’ll simplify everything for you and explain what you need to know.
The bottom line is that, if you’ve been injured, there may be compensation available to help you cope. My job is to see your case through to the end. Let me fight for you and handle the stressful details so that you can focus on what’s most important: your recovery and your family.
Do You Have A Claim?
Get a Free Consultation to find out if you have a claim for your critical injury.
Car accidents remain the number one cause of personal injuries in Ontario
If you or a loved one have been involved in an accident, I can help you get the compensation you deserve from the at-fault driver. A personal injury accident can affect your physical and financial well-being and I can help you get peace of mind when it matters most.
Car accident cases can vary by client. An injury from a vehicle crash can affect your mental, physical and financial well-being. If you have been involved in an accident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to fair compensation for your injuries. But the first step is understanding the available statutory Accident Benefits in Ontario, your rights, and what qualifies as a motor vehicle accident in Hamilton and Ontario for that matter. After a car accident, it’s important to know that you can apply for Accident Benefits, which are benefits that are available to you through your own insurance company even if there is a dispute as to who caused the accident. These benefits are meant to provide an immediate source of relief and recovery. They’ll cover things like income loss, medical treatment, attendant care, rehabilitation costs, and funeral and death benefits.
My goal as a motor vehicle accident lawyer is to recover the maximum amount of benefits for clients. I’m a skilled negotiator and my law firm focuses only on personal injury law. I have significant experience acting on behalf of clients to recover the maximum amount of insurance benefits to which they are entitled. I work with my clients to get the maximum compensation they deserve.
Common Personal Injuries from a Car Accident
We are all too aware that being the victim of an accident can result in dire consequences: from fatalities to injuries that plague accident victims for months or even years. A personal injury can present a victim with significant pain and suffering that can have a long and detrimental impact that will affect you and your loved ones. You may be suffering from a brain injury such as concussions (mild traumatic brain injury/TBI), chronic pain, memory problems, spinal cord injury, broken bones or tears in your ligaments/joints or soft-tissue injuries. In addition, you may experience an adverse psychological reaction, driving anxiety or depression. If you’re experiencing pain and suffering after being in a car accident, call a motor vehicle accident lawyer for a free consultation to discuss your case.
Some Major Causes of Motor Vehicle Accidents (MVA)
An MVA can include those involving cars, single- and multi-vehicle collisions, motorcycle accidents, commercial trucks, bicycles, snowmobiles, public transit, as well as pedestrians. In recent times, we have seen an increase in people being injured in a car from distracted driving cases. Distracted driving doesn’t just mean using a phone while behind the wheel, although that certainly accounts for a lot of the cases. A few examples of distracted driving are talking on a cell phone, texting, using a GPS, eating/drinking, smoking, adjusting the radio or playing extremely loud music. Other causes for a car crash that we have seen in our law firm include speeding or impaired driving, running a red light, bad weather, improper lane changes or following too close thereby causing a rear-end collision.
What To Do If You Have Been In A Car Accident?
If you have been involved in an accident there are things you can do to support your case. If you are able to think clearly, here is a list of what you should do – or have someone else do on your behalf:
- Make sure to get the other driver’s information – name, address, insurance, policy number
- Call the police and ambulance (the fire department is often first to respond)
- Get the name and number of witnesses at the scene. Even if they didn’t witness the accident, they may have witnessed the aftermath of the accident and might be able to verify if you were coherent, conscious, etc. This could be important information down the road.
- Often people will say ‘I’m okay’ by default or instinct, only to start feeling the injuries later that day or the next day. My advice? If an ambulance is called, get checked out. Never refuse the first responder’s medical assessment. Allowing the assessment may help protect your rights to access compensation. If they say go to the hospital or want to take you, let them. If you sustain a concussion, the emergency doctor may opt to put you on a head injury protocol. Follow it.
- Take pictures. Try to get your own at the scene and if you have visible injuries (road rash, bruises and cuts, etc.) take pictures of them too.
- Contact your own insurance company as soon as you can and within 30 days. Be open to their questions; they’re there to help you and will send you the forms you’ll need for Accident Benefits to cover treatment and partial wages.
- If you are feeling odd after the accident and you haven’t gone to the hospital, GO. Even if you felt ok at the accident, GO. Head injuries are often felt a few days after the accident. No doctor is going to look at you funny if you come in a few days after an accident because you have a headache. This is not a normal circumstance. Always err on the side of caution.
- Make an appointment to see your family doctor within a few days to make them aware of the accident and your injuries and to get the appropriate medical attention you need and allow them to monitor you from the beginning.
- If you can’t work, your doctor will fill out a form for your employer. This should go without saying but if your doctor says you need to take a few days off, follow their advice.
- It’s always a good idea to call a personal injury lawyer for a consultation to talk about your case and legal rights.
1. I’ve sustained serious injuries after a car accident. What can you do for me?
My goal is to recover the maximum amount of compensation/benefits for my clients. I’m not only a skilled negotiator, but I also have significant experience acting on behalf of injured people to recover their maximum entitlement. I work with clients to get the available benefits as quickly as possible, including resolving matters through dispute resolution mechanisms like Mediations and Arbitrations.
2. What other services do you offer?
I am a personal injury lawyer focused on helping people heal the hurt. My team and I handle a wide variety of personal injury cases in Hamilton and the surrounding areas. We help with personal injury claims: slip and fall, denied disability insurance claims, and much more. If you have questions about your claim, call us today and we’ll answer all of them during the free initial consultation, and determine if we can help you get fair compensation.
3. How long can a car vehicle accident claim take?
Just like every personal injury claim, all car accident injuries vary, so I can’t give you an exact answer. Some settlements can take as little as 12 months and other several years. Regardless, we’ll be with you every step of the way to ease your worries and be there for you when you truly need it most.
For a free consultation with Hamilton car accident lawyer Derek Wilson call us at 855-769-0418 or fill out a request form. I’m a lawyer in Hamilton who is dedicated to helping you and your family recover fair compensation. I will always have your best interests in mind. We will respond in a timely manner so you and your family can receive the help you need.