Sport Accident Lawyer in Hamilton, Ontario
Experienced Hamilton Auto Accident Law Firm
Sports accidents don’t only happen on the big field or the big screen: they can affect everyday people who are taking part in recreational or sporting activities. An accident can happen at any time — even when you’re engaged in a fun recreational activity.
Whether it was skiing or snowboarding, motocross or ATVs, snowmobile accidents, an injury on another’s property, or other recreational and sporting activities, a sporting accident can sideline you for a considerable amount of time, causing significant damages and lost time at work. You may be able to recover compensation for the injuries you have incurred, but help from an experienced and knowledgeable sporting accident lawyer is a must.
What Are Some Examples of Sports Accidents, and How Do They Occur?
Sporting and recreational accidents can happen in many different ways. For example:
- Skiing injuries may result from inadequately maintained trails, grounds, or even rental equipment
- Snowboarding injuries can happen where grounds or equipment are not properly maintained or tended
- Snowmobile injuries often occur when another rider or driver fails to follow the rules of the trail or operates a vehicle in a negligent manner
- Accidents involving ATVs, four-wheelers, motocross, dirt bikes, or other recreational vehicles are commonly the result of other drivers’ or riders’ negligence on the trails
- Slip-and-falls and other accidents can occur in and around swimming pools
- Accidents can happen as a result of faulty, dangerous, or defective sporting equipment
- Recreational or sports accidents can happen on the property of another person or business, particularly if the property has a dangerous or defective condition
What to Do After a Skiing or Snowboarding Accident
If you’ve been involved in a skiing or snowboarding accident, you may have experienced serious injuries that require financial restitution. In order to protect your legal rights and ensure you preserve important evidence in your case, you should be sure to take the following steps after your accident:
- Move to safety and call for help. Get checked out thoroughly for any injuries, even if you’re feeling completely fine—many sporting injuries can take days or even weeks to manifest.
- Get the medical care and treatment you need. A skiing or snowboarding accident can mean severe injuries, including broken bones; concussions, traumatic brain injuries, or other head injuries; back or spinal injuries; internal injuries; and sometimes even catastrophic injuries or wrongful death. It is imperative that you seek out the medical care you need to get better. If you are unable to work, you should also keep any relevant documentation from your employer.
- Investigate and document the facts of your accident thoroughly. Talk to any witnesses and obtain their contact information; if possible, have them write a comprehensive statement of what they observed. Take pictures at the scene and of your injuries. Keep meticulous records of any correspondence related to the accident, along with medical records and any bills or invoices related to expenses you’ve incurred as a result of the accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer for help. The value of hiring a knowledgeable skiing accident lawyer cannot be overstated: they will not only help negotiate with the other party and their insurance company but will also put together a strong case if your lawsuit goes to trial. Moreover, an experienced ski accident lawyer can help evaluate and assess your damages accurately, to ensure your settlement is fair and reasonable, and they will be able to research the laws involved.
- Work with your ski accident lawyer to file a claim against the party responsible for your accident. Generally, this may involve filing a lawsuit in court, usually involving a claim for negligence. It will also involve filing a claim with any insurance companies who may be involved, whether it’s the insurer of the party at fault or your own insurance company, if applicable.
Recovering Damages After a Sport Accident
Because sports accidents can cause such serious personal injuries, there are many different types of damages that can result from such cases. For instance:
- Expenses associated with a hospital stay
- Medical treatments, testing, and imaging costs
- Prescription medications
- Visits with doctors and specialists
- Physical, occupational, and other therapy costs
- Expenses associated with nursing care or home care
- Lost wages due to losing time at work
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Decline in the quality of your life
- Wrongful death
If your sporting accident was the result of another party’s negligence, wrongdoing, or even intentional conduct, you may be able to recover compensation for the damages you have suffered. Generally, this will entail the need to prove both your damages, such as the examples of expenses above, and liability — the responsibility of the party at fault for the accident.
How Can Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law Help After a Sporting Accident?
A knowledgeable sporting accident lawyer can be invaluable to your claim, whether you’ve injured yourself skiing, snowboarding, or engaging in another sport or recreational activity. Insurance companies seek to minimize payout and keep costs as low as possible, and they often have significant financial and legal resources on their side. We can help even out the playing field: we will negotiate with the insurance company and the parties responsible, handling all communications and striving for a fair and reasonable offer of settlement. We will file your claim in the appropriate court, preserve important evidence, and prepare a strong case to present on your behalf.
At Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law, we have decades of experience working on personal injury accident claims and pride ourselves on doing our best for our clients. We have handled numerous claims involving skiing or snowboarding accidents, as well as other recreational and sporting accidents, and we work hard to secure a fair and reasonable settlement or judgment for our clients. For a free consultation with Ontario sporting accident lawyer Derek Wilson, call us at 855-769-0418 or fill out an online request form.
Free Case Consultation
Get a Free Consultation to find out if you have a claim for your critical injury.
Contact us with this form
"*" indicates required fields