Resolve. Results. Restore
About Us: Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law
Experienced Hamilton Auto Accident Law Firm
Derek Wilson, LL.M.
Owner and Lawyer
Bad things happen to good people and I believe in healing the hurt.
I started my career in insurance litigation in 1993, articling with Stanley M. Tick & Associates in Hamilton, where we knew our clients and their families. I worked on personal injury cases because I was good at it and it made a difference in people’s lives. Read more about why I became a personal injury attorney.
After earning my Master of Laws degree (with Merit) from the London School of Economics in 1997, I became a partner at a boutique Toronto defense firm that dealt exclusively in insurance defense litigation. Now I was on the other side of the table and this experience taught me how large insurance companies think. I learnt first-hand what it takes to win a personal injury case or reverse an insurance denial.
By 2009, I’d had enough and I was anxious to return to my roots representing individuals from Hamilton and the surrounding area that had been hurt in an accident or denied an insurance claim. I worked at Malhotra, Stayshyn & Wilson until 2013 when I left to open Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law.
Why Our Clients Choose Us
Putting Lives Back Together.
As a client of my law firm, you will always get the full attention you deserve. We will communicate with you effectively by answering all your phone calls and returning emails promptly. We will work for you and with you, until the case has been resolved. We realize that injuries often make it difficult for people to move ahead in life. We help our clients take control of the situation they face and help them focus their attention to get back on track.
We’ll help you resolve your personal injury claim so you can get back to living your life.
Launching a personal injury lawsuit is not only about compensation, it’s about empowering your recovery on your terms. I don’t take upfront fees, like some personal injury lawyers, I get paid when you get paid.
Our clients are our top priority. Always.
What to do after an accident
The calm after the storm.
What to do after a car accident
- File a police report
- Record names and addresses of witnesses.
- Exchange insurance information and details with the other driver, if applicable
- See your family doctor as soon as possible
- Notify your insurance company as soon as possible and within 7 days of the incident
- Keep receipts of all related expenses
- Record dates and time spent caring for injuries
- See if you are covered under other policies (i.e. through work, school or private plans)
- Apply for Accident Benefits within 30 days
- Call a lawyer whose focus is in personal injury law.
Remember, there are strict guidelines to file a claim against an insurer or a person who you believe is at fault for your accident. I can guide you through the process, you can and will recover.
What to consider when selecting a personal injury lawyer
- Will your lawyer meet with you for an initial consultation free of charge?
- Will they advocate strongly on your behalf?
- Help you navigate through the legal process and simplify sophisticated legal jargon?
- Resolve cases efficiently, fairly and effectively
- Be honest and display the upmost integrity
- Have worked both sided of personal injury law; plaintiff and insurance defence?
- Clearly explain the fee structure