Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident — even a minor one — getting competent legal representation can make a big difference in being able to recover damages.
What Does a Car Accident Lawyer Do?
There are many different functions that a car accident lawyer undertakes while they are representing you in your claim. Consider the following ways that a lawyer can be helpful during the course of your car accident case:
- They will investigate the unique facts of your car accident, collecting important evidence in the process. They will interview witnesses; review photographs of the scene, police reports, and other documentation; and recreate the accident if necessary to understand what happened.
- They will offer you a consultation. During this consultation, you’ll discuss your legal rights, the various options available to you in recovering damages for your injuries, and the possible next steps to take in your case.
- They will research the areas of law involved in your case. The laws can be complex and your case may involve various different categories of law. They will understand and be aware of the procedures and processes for litigating your case in the appropriate court.
- They will assess and calculate your potential damages. This will take into consideration your out-of-pocket costs, medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other general damages that you have incurred.
- They will communicate with the other parties involved. This might include insurance companies, witnesses, authorities, and anyone else involved in the case, handling correspondence on your behalf, so that you can focus on getting better and back to your life.
- They will negotiate on your behalf. Your lawyer will begin negotiations with the other party and their insurance company, in an effort to obtain a fair and reasonable settlement offer.
- They’ll keep things organized. Your lawyer will work with you to assemble documents, witness statements, and other evidence to help prove your case and your damages.
- They will file a claim on your behalf. Your lawyer will file all the necessary paperwork in the appropriate court, along with any other motions, and other court documents needed during the litigation process, and they will also ensure that those filings meet all of your jurisdiction’s procedural requirements.
- They will analyze the legal issues involved in your case. Your lawyer will work to understand and apply the law to the facts of your case, offering you valuable legal advice.
- They will help you reach a determination. If a settlement is not possible, they will argue your case in court on your behalf, in order to obtain a favorable judgment.
When is the Right Time to Hire a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Ideally, you should contact an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident—they will be able to begin negotiations on your behalf and attempt to obtain a fair settlement at the appropriate time to ensure the best outcome in your matter. They can also help file paperwork with your insurance company, the authorities, and anyone else needed. However, even if you don’t sign with an attorney right away, and you file a claim, you will benefit from a consultation. A car accident lawyer can discuss your options, legal rights, and potential strategies.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
The cost of a car accident lawyer can vary, with most lawyers’ fees being a portion of the damages they recover on your behalf. Additionally, a car accident claim can involve various costs, such as court filing fees, the costs of obtaining documents and other evidence, the costs of accident reconstruction, expert witness charges, and other fees.
At Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law, we get paid when you get paid: our lawyer’s fees constitute a portion of what we recover on your behalf. This makes us partners in your case, striving to achieve the same result.
We use a fixed percentage contingency fee agreement with a maximum contingency rate of 33% plus HST based on the total damages recovered. There will also be disbursements plus HST which are expenses we pay out on your behalf, and vary from client to client based on the complexity of your specific situation. We will also provide you with the contingency fee agreement in writing so that our legal fees are transparent. Additionally, your first consultation with us is always free.
Do You Need a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?
Motor vehicle accident cases can be complex, involving nuanced areas of the law, particularly when you are dealing with liability and damages. Even a minor car accident can turn into a major headache, especially if the other party is refusing to admit liability. Additionally, even if your injuries are at first blush minor, it is not uncommon for them to become more significant over time. In fact, some injuries do not manifest until much later, sometimes taking months for you to realize that you have been hurt.
Moreover, it is difficult to predict how long recovery might take in your case: while some claims may be resolved within twelve months, others can take years. Turning to an experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer is crucial — they can not only help preserve and present important evidence for your claim but also negotiate on your behalf against the responsible parties and their insurance companies.
How Can Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law Help After Your Accident?
My goal is to recover fair benefit amounts for my clients. I’m not only a skilled negotiator, but also have significant experience acting on behalf of injured people to recover the entitlement they’re due. I work with clients to get the available benefits as quickly as possible, including resolving matters through dispute resolution mechanisms like mediation and arbitration. I am a personal injury lawyer focused on helping people heal the hurt.
For a free consultation with Ontario motor vehicle accident lawyer Derek Wilson, call us at 855-769-0418 or fill out a request form. We will respond in a timely manner so you and your family can receive the help you need. I am dedicated to helping you and your family recover fair compensation and will always have your best interests in mind.