Personal Injury Lawyer Claims & Lawsuits
Experienced Hamilton Auto Accident Law Firm
Personal Injury Lawyer Claims & Lawsuits
Accidents can happen to anyone at any time and anywhere.
Personal injuries happen commonly, and they can wreak havoc on the victim’s life, causing serious physical, emotional, and financial harm. After an accident, you may have a valid legal claim against the party who caused your injuries. But the process of recovering compensation can be very complex—and the help of a personal injury lawyer can be invaluable.
What is Personal Injury Law?
Generally speaking, personal injury claims arise from injuries caused by another party, person, or entity. They typically involve claims of negligence — where the party responsible has failed to adhere to the applicable standard of care, directly causing personal injuries as a result.
In order to prevail on a negligence claim, the victim must prove both liability and damages. Liability means that the party who caused the injuries is legally responsible for them, while damages deal with the financial and other losses that the victim has experienced as a result of the injury.
The area of personal injury law is vast and broad, and it encompasses many different types of accidents and injuries. The following are just some examples:
- Motor vehicle accidents and traffic accidents, including those involving cars, trucks, pedestrians, bicycles, and motorcycles.
- Workplace injuries, such as falls or injuries caused by malfunctioning equipment or tools
- Premises liability, including slip-and-falls, dog bites, and other injuries that occur on the property of another person or business.
- Recreational accidents, such as those involving snowmobiles, skiing, or ATVs
- Wrongful death, which is a claim brought by the estate or survivors of a party who has died as a result of the negligent party’s actions.
Accidents can sometimes lead to serious personal injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and internal injuries that require significant medical attention, leading to financial losses. You may be unable to work for a period of time, losing income or wages in the process. You may also experience severe pain and suffering, be unable to do activities that you enjoy, and have an overall decline in your quality of life as a result of the accident.
What Does the Work of a Personal Injury Lawyer Entail?
Personal injury lawyers wear many different hats during the course of a case, and they can provide expert guidance during the personal injury claims process, which can be difficult and complex to navigate. Personal injury cases often involve various laws, unique and complicated fact patterns, having to communicate with various parties and authorities, and the need to preserve important evidence and build a strong case on its basis.
Fighting a personal injury claim on your own can be daunting—particularly while you are still trying to piece your life back together after a harrowing injury. An experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can help you with all aspects of your claim. For example:
- Get the facts straight. They will go over the facts of your case with you and investigate those facts as needed to build a strong claim. They will also interview witnesses and communicate with the other party and their insurance company on your behalf.
- Evidence gathering. They will help gather and preserve important evidence, such as any police reports, documentation, photographs, and proof of personal injuries or property damage.
- Legal research. They will research the law involved in your claim and advise you of your legal rights, options and responsibilities. They will discuss with you and advise you of potential next steps and strategies to take in your case. They will apply the law to the unique facts of your case.
- Case evaluation. They will work with you to properly ascertain and prove the true extent of your damages, including medical and hospital bills, repairs, pain and suffering, and the general decline in the quality of your life. They will also help you gather the documentation needed to prove your damages, such as your medical bills, other invoices, and proof of any missed work or income.
- They will negotiate on your behalf with the other party and their insurance company toward a fair and reasonable settlement offer. They will also send a demand to the insurance company, spelling out the compensation that they are seeking on your behalf.
- Case preparation. They will prepare pleadings and file them in the appropriate court, setting out your legal claims, the facts of your case, and what you are seeking as compensation for your damages.
- Pre-trial. They will conduct discovery, exchanging information with the other party as part of the pre-trial stage. They will also file appropriate motions and respond to those filed by the other party.
- Fight for you. They will argue on your behalf in court, presenting a strong case to the judge or jury in an effort to obtain a winning verdict if settlement negotiations do not yield a successful agreement.
Why Choose Derek Wilson Personal Injury Law for Your Personal Injury Matter?
We built our firm with a purpose — to assist everyday individuals at some of the most trying times in their lives. When you’ve been through a challenging accident or injury, it’s important to be surrounded by people who have your best interests at heart. At my firm, we’re honest, we care about our clients, we fight for them, and we get results.
Moreover, we offer a free initial consultation, and no payments are required until I have successfully recovered money on your behalf. If we aren’t successful, there is no cost. We are transparent about our fees: We use a fixed percentage contingency fee agreement with a maximum contingency rate of 33% plus HST based on the total damages recovered. There will also be disbursements plus HST — expenses we pay out on your behalf. These will vary from client to client, based on the complexity of your specific situation.
My team and I handle a wide variety of personal injury cases in Hamilton and the surrounding areas, including motor vehicle accidents, long-term disability matters, wrongful death cases, and many others. For a free consultation with Ontario personal injury lawyer Derek Wilson, call us at 855-769-0418 or fill out an online request form. We will respond in a timely manner so you and your family can receive the help you need.
Free Case Consultation
Get a Free Consultation to find out if you have a claim for your critical injury.
Contact us with this form
"*" indicates required fields